Most people learn guitar while playing in a seated position. It is a natural and comfy position, which is good when learning the basics. It will also make the transition to playing while standing up feel awkward.
In this video, you’ll see some tips for using a guitar strap and playing in a standing position. It will help your posture and force you to concentrate on your chords with out looking at them. Great posture is what enables you to stand whilst playing guitar. To begin learning this essential element of being a great guitarist you will have to practice much more standing than sitting.
- Make certain your strap sits on your shoulder and not on the end of your shoulder.
- Do not let the guitar hang down too low.
- Try not to look down. This is harder than it seems, but with some effort it won’t be that challenging.
- Stand up straight and don’t slump your shoulders.
- In case you have an acoustic guitar, you will have to get used to the bulkiness, its not as heavy as an electric but it still requires you to teach your body how you can stand.
- Stand with your back against the wall and you’ll have a much better understanding of how straight you need to stand.
Be patient, it takes time to get utilized to standing while actively playing.